Why Choose DL Haines as Your HVAC Company
“The service was fast, courteous, and professional. All my questions were answered thoroughly and immediately. I would recommend this company to everyone and will give them my business in the future without a doubt!”
When summertime hits in Corydon, IN, the only thing more important than fun in the sun is to ensure that your home is properly cooled for when the hot temperatures hit. Air conditioning maintenance often goes overlooked while families are busy prepping the boat, running the sprinklers, and planning vacations. Without adequate AC maintenance, you might be facing an air conditioner repair or unplanned air conditioning replacement this season.
A heating or cooling system is a significant investment in your home or business, and it makes a huge difference in keeping your family cool and protected. Keeping up on your air conditioner in tip-top shape is key to protecting all the things under your roof.
Signs Your Air Conditioner Needs A Repair
- Warm air or inconsistent cooling performance
This is a pretty obvious sign. You turn on your unit, and you get lukewarm air or maybe spurts of cold, but inconsistent efforts. This definitely won’t cool your Corydon, IN home, and before long you’ll be sweltering in your living room. This is a clear sign you need an air conditioner repair.
- Poor airflow from your vents
Sometimes the air coming from your vents is cool, but it’s so weak – it makes no difference to the overall temperature inside your home. This could be due to a blockage in the ducts, or a problem with the fan. Either way, you’ll want to get an air conditioner repair scheduled so you can take advantage of the cool air your unit is producing.
- Short, frequent cycling of your cooling system
This can be a frustrating and noisy problem. Occasionally, your unit will kick on and off during the day, depending on how the temperature fluctuates, but it shouldn’t be frequently. If you’re constantly hearing your unit turn on and off, it’s a sign you should call an air conditioning contractor before it shuts off for good.
- Excessive humidity that doesn’t seem to improve over time
In Corydon, IN we are no stranger to humidity. Your air conditioner is in charge of cooling the air and removing excess moisture from the air. If it feels humid inside your home, that’s a problem with your AC unit.
- Visible pools of moisture or other signs of a leak
Anytime you see liquid pooling around your unit, it’s time to contact an experienced HVAC technician. This could be something simple, like a minor drainage issue, but it also could be leaking refrigerant, which is colorless, odorless and seriously dangerous.
- Unexplained noises or unpleasant odors during operation
A healthy air conditioner shouldn’t make any noise other than a quiet hum. If you hear banging, clanking, or screeching from the unit – it’s best to shut it off and call an air conditioner repair. This is usually due to an internal issue which can get significantly worse if left running.
Should I Repair or Replace My Air Conditioning Unit?
When properly maintained, your air conditioner can last a good 12 to 15 years or even longer in some cases. But nothing lasts forever. There are some clear cut signs that it is time for a new air conditioner installation.
- The air conditioner uses R-22 (also known as HCFC-22). This is an older version of refrigerant also known as “Freon”. Today, this is no longer manufactured, which means you’ll need to install a new air conditioning unit sooner rather than later.
- Age of AC Unit. Your air conditioner is an investment and should last you at least 10 years before you face a major repair or replacement. If you have an air conditioner that is reaching this milestone, it might be time for a new air conditioning installation.
- There is a whining, banging, or clanking sound. The only reason why your air conditioner is making crazy sounds is usually due to an internal part that is malfunctioning. While these can sometimes be repaired, it’s often a better investment to put your money into installing a new ac unit.
- You’ve called for a lot of repairs recently. A fix here and a tune-up there is normal maintenance for any AC unit, but if you’re having to call for repairs on a regular basis, it’s time to upgrade. A new air conditioning installation will be less expensive than endless repairs.
- High Energy Bills. If you see your bills increase exponentially and suddenly, this is a time that your unit is working harder than necessary. Sometimes this is due to a problem that can be repaired, but more than likely it’s due to a tired unit that needs an upgrade and it’s time for a new air conditioner.
Benefits Of Having a Well-Functioning Air Conditioner
Of course, we all like a place to cool down at the end of a long hot day, but the benefits of air conditioning go way beyond basic comfortability.
- Reduces the possibility of asthma attacks by lowering the amount of pollen, mold, mildew, and other airborne outdoor allergens in the home.
- Creates a more secure home by allowing you to keep your windows and doors closed day and night.
- Increases work ethic and productivity, as people who are comfortable work better and more efficiently.
- Provides a cool place to exercise, promote, and maintain healthy habits.
- Clean filters lower the amount of tiny insects and parasites that often live inside homes without us even noticing.
- Provides greater indoor air quality, which can reduce the effects of seasonal allergies.
- Better sleep happens when you’re in a colder environment, so your air conditioning may be to thank for a good night’s rest.
- Electronics need balanced temperatures, especially those in our homes like internet routers, televisions, cell phones, and laptops.
- Dehydration is a serious concern in the summer months, which air conditioning can greatly impact by keeping our bodies cool.
- Heat stroke and other heat-related deaths happen every year. Air conditioning is the number one protective factor against these deaths.
FAQs About Air Conditioning
- Should I cover my air conditioner in the winter?
It’s not necessary to cover your unit in the winter, and can actually cause more harm than good. Air conditioners don’t get dirty when they’re not being used, and are made to stay outside, so there is no reason to cover them. More often than not, people forget to take the cover off, which can trap moisture and cause damage to the unit.
- What does the SEER rating on my A/C mean?
SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, which determines the efficiency of your unit on a scale from 10 to 20. The higher the SEER rating, the more money you save on energy consumption.
- Why is my AC system freezing up?
There are several reasons why this can happen, but it doesn’t usually mean your unit is going out completely. It could be a filter issue or a drainage problem. It’s best to call a professional for an air conditioner repair to prevent it in the future.
- How do I maximize my air conditioner’s energy efficiency?
There are several ways to do this. The first is to make sure all air vents are open and unblocked and by using a programmable thermostat. Also, you can use ceiling fans in rooms to keep the air moving. Finally, always keep up with regular AC maintenance and necessary air conditioner repairs
- Can I replace my outdoor unit without replacing the indoor unit?
Yes, and also no. Technically, you can – but it often doesn’t save you any money. A mismatched system will often use more energy and end up costing you more month after month. Also, air conditioning units are usually sold as a set, so you’ll pay more for each piece individually.
- How often should I have my air conditioning serviced?
We recommend getting an air conditioner repair technician to your house at least once a year, usually in the spring. This is usually enough to check on your unit, make any necessary air conditioner repairs, and enjoy the rest of the summer.
- How long will my air conditioner last?
Most units will last about 12 to 15 years, longer if you keep up on regular air conditioner repair and maintenance. Some systems have been known to last 20 years or longer, depending on the type of system and the strain put on it.
Stay Calm, and Keep Cool
A heating or cooling system is a significant investment, and it makes a huge difference for your home and business to keep everything inside cool and protected. Keeping up on your air conditioner repair and maintenance needs is key to protecting your investment. If you are worried about the condition of your HVAC system, our team of experts can help!
We offer full inspections of any AC system in Corydon, IN and surrounding areas to evaluate performance, increase efficiency and estimate its remaining service life. We offer complete air conditioning installation services if you choose to upgrade, as well as comprehensive maintenance and air conditioner repair services all year long to keep your unit running smoothly.
We are proud to serve Corydon, Lanesville, Georgetown, New Salisbury, Palmyra, Galena, Floyds Knobs, Depauw, Greenville and surrounding areas in Indiana. Give us a call today for all your HVAC needs!